The way DX4WIN's country file is set up, if you just download a
new version from time to time, you will lose any customization
(callsign exceptions) you've entered. In my case, I have lots of
obsolete Russian calls (and some others) from the 70s entered,
and correctly identified, that will get all screwed up if I don't
maintain my own updates.

How often do new countries come along? Is it that big a deal to
maintain your own database, and add a new one once very few
years?!
73,
Barry W2UP