From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Gregory Brown
Sent: December 31, 2002 6:05 PM
To: dx4win@mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: [Dx4win] ICOM 765 !

Lou,

I don't have any experience with the interface you are considering, but
I did have (apparently) the same problem with my CT-17 and faced the
same quandry.  My choice was to assume that the MAX232 chip in the CT-17
was fried (the IC is about the most "fragile" component in there) and
decided to try replacing it.  Using de-soldering braid and a 15 watt
iron, it is quite easy to remove the old chip.  Since I didn't want to
risk heat damage to the new the new chip, I installed a chip socket
instead, then simply plugged in the new chip.  The CT-17 now works like
a charm, and the job was much easier than I thought it would be.  The
replacement for the MAX232CPE chip cost $2.19, and the 16 pin
solder-tail sockets sell for 10 cents each (but you have to by 10!)  The
real eye opener was when I priced all the components in the CT-17, and
the total came out around 10 bucks!  But then you wouldn't have that
nice ICOM stencil on the box!

Replacing the chip isn't like building your own interface, but it sure
was easy and satisfying.

Got my parts from Jameco Electronics.  They do have a web-presence and a
very nice catalog.

Good luck!
Greg KT0K