I spent a number of years on the DX Advisory Committee and this issue was
raised several times. The prevailing feeling at HQ at the time was that
they didn't want to open it up to include pre-1975 due to the anticipated
increased workload that it would entail. That was back in the day prior to
computerization and when the DXCC desk was months behind in processing
awards. Perhaps it is time to revisit the issue. Tony N2SS