You are correct that it will chose the latest card and flag that as "S".

But, if you want to submit a different card, you also have to "deselect" the
one automatically set by the submission.  Otherwise, when the submitted
cards return, and you run Reports | DXCC | Change award flags | DXCC Mixed |
Submitted -> Checked, you will falsely indicate that the card automatically
chosen for submission was actually checked.

After you run the above, you can manually change whatever is necessary to
correct any errors -- like when a card you submitted has been rejected by
the ARRL.  A few times they told me it was a duplicate submission -- I
already had credit.  Of course, I didn't think I had submitted for that
country before, so would carefully search previous submissions.  In some
cases, I never found a previous one, so had to use the most recently
submitted card anyway!  You'll never get it 100.00 percent correct.

I gave up manually changing the submissions, although I would have preferred
to have used the oldest cards rather than newest.

John, K2CIB

333/341 mixed
330/336 phone
322/328 CW