From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Tue Jun 13 08:25:21 2006
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Reisert AD1C)
Date: Tue Jun 13 08:31:54 2006
Subject: [Dx4win] Microsoft Vista Beta 2 - Impressions

I installed Vista Beta 2 last night in a dual-boot configuration.  It
went fairly smoothly:

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/top/windows-vista-beta-how-to-dual-boot-windows-xp-and-windows-vista-179906.php

I had to manually download and install Vista drivers for my Creative
Audigy 2 soundcard, but could not get the USB drivers for my
PowerWare UPS to install.

I could not get DX4WIN to run, however.   It asked me to copy the
vichw11.sys file to my Vista windows\system32\drivers directory,
which I did (from Windows XP, Vista would not let me copy files into
the system32\drivers directory, even though my account had
administrator privileges) but I got the same message again and could
not start DX4WIN.  NOTE:  I did not install DX4WIN 7.02, but tried to
run my existing installation in-place.

I also had various permission problems running my E-mail
client.  Because the user ID of the Eudora files did not match my
Vista user ID, it wasn't working very well.  Yes, I did install
Eudora, but told it to use the data files that were located
separately from the program.

Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.4 seemed OK, however.

Other than a fancier user interface ("see-through windows, ooohhh,
aaahhh"), I didn't see anything that compelled me to switch to Vista.

USA +978-251-9933, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, http://www.ad1c.us