Glen,

I have always used a UPS with all my PCs. After getting creamed once or
twice by power outages I found that the cost of one of these is worth
it. I use APC which have a connection to your PC via serial or USB. The
included software shuts your PC down gracefully in case of failure but
if you size the UPS correctly your PC can run 5 to 10 minutes or more
after power loss which give you more than enough time to shut it all
down manually.

There are several other brands which I believe have the same capability.

As for DX4WIN, I have gotten in the habit of saving after every entry
because of what you mentioned. If you do use the backup file in the
circumstances you mentioned, rename the main file first so you have what
to go back to, if necessary.

73, Les W2LK