I made a rather interesting and fortuitous discovery this morning.

I had been reading the microHAM reflector about USB Root Hubs:

(you will need to be subscribed to the microHAM group to see the message).

I discovered that my microKEYER was indeed connected to a root hub, but was
sharing the port with a USB print driver.  But that's not the most interesting
part!

Some time ago, I had installed a PCI to USB 2.0 adapter because the 4 USB ports
on the back of my Dell Dimension E310 were not enough (mouse, keyboard, label
printer, microKEYER, UPS, wireless network).  The microKEYER was plugged into
one of the USB ports on the PCI adapter.  I noticed that I did have one free
USB port on the PC (native to the motherboard) so I moved the microKEYER to
that port.

Now when I checked the Windows XP Device Manager, I found that the microKEYER
was all by itself (no sharing).  But I also found that DX4WIN was now MUCH
responsive to logging QSOs.  Often times, I had to wait 1 or more seconds for
DX4WIN to "catch up" with polling the radio, the computer would essentially
freeze.  That problem seems to have completely disappeared!  I will have to
watch for a few days to see if the random frequency corruption problem is also
gone (DX4WIN would occasionally log a frequency that was 100x higher than it
should be, i.e. 1,807,708 KHz instead of 18,077 KHz).

So if you are having problems with DX4WIN and microKEYER, check whether the
keyer is connected to a USB root hub, is all by itself on that hub, and whether
it's plugged into a port directly attached to the motherboard.

I can't believe I've been suffering from this problem for so long, when the fix
was so simple!  Thanks to Joe W4TV and Craig K4IA for making me aware of this
issue.

USA +978-251-9933, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, http://www.ad1c.us