My thanks to all who replied. I believe the problem is with the script for
the IC-7800.

To get the radio and DX4WIN to work together properly, I had to select
another ICOM radio from the drop-down list (I used the IC-765) and, of
course, change the address to 6A. As soon as I did that, everything worked
perfectly.

Ted, W4CID, who modified the ICOM script for the IC-7800, was kind enough to
call me today to discuss thie issue. He, too, is baffled.

Has anyone else had problems controlling the IC-7800 using the DX4WIN 7800
script?

Thanks.

Dave

P.S. In addition, I had to ditch the Remote connection and connect via the
RS-232 connection on the IC-7800.