It isn't copied Ernie... it is a unique record that maps to the
callsign... and is very useful as it stands... it should be left alone.
BTW, I have the same issue as my log goes back to 1969.

What Paul needs to do is add a new field for name. I'm not sure, with
access to QRZ.Com and such, whether there is any need to store the
address... maybe a short field for QTH might be useful. These fields
perhaps should copy forward by default... but this could be overridden.
This would take care of this issue or archival information.

And Paul... PLEASE add a field for frequency data. D4W complicates lfe
unnecessarily when exchanging data via ADIF by not supporting dedicated
fields for Name/QTH/Freq.

Paul, if you read this... it would require a data migration utility.
The present convention seems to be name on the first line and QTH on the
second line of notes.

Ernie Walls wrote:
> I have been reading the posts with great interest, and was 'happy' to see
> that the number of groups was going to be increased beyond 256 in the next
> update. I had been asking for that since 2005, but re-arranged my log only
> six months ago, believing that there was no likelihood of this change being
> made. Better late than never, as it will, obviously, help others.
>

> My other, very long standing, wish is that the name/address of any call
> should not automatically be copied to a new QSO in the 'Notes for this Call'
> box. The sheer number of 'old' calls' re-appearing with new owners makes
> this information, as it functionally stands, useless as far as accuracy is
> concerned for a significant, and growing, number of calls.  Also, many
> Dxpeditions now identify the actual operator with which you had the QSO, and
> it would be nice if you could record this information, accurately, in the
> 'Notes for this Call' box. (Yes, I know you can record it in the 'Notes for
> this QSO' box - but that is a, poor, second best, scenario.
>
> So, a 'switch' to turn this function 'on/off' would be a good way to suit
> everyone.
>

> My wish!
>

> Ernie
>
> Ernie Walls VK3FM