I have what appears to be an anomaly in the process DX4Win uses to confirm
QSLs received back from LOTW.

I am using 8.02, and use the 'Group Number' and 'Group Name' feature to
differentiate which of my two callsigns I used, or which contest I was
operating.

The anomaly is apparent when I use both of my two callsigns for a QSO to the
same station, generally only a couple of minutes apart. (Why I do this is
for another forum, just for the moment accept that I do - the QSOs are only
ever for a new band/mode, per callsign, only).

I will give an example so you know what I am talking about!

ZL7T                6 March 2009              0109 UTC       17 M    CW
My call VK3FM           Let's call this QSO 1

ZL7T                6 March 2009              0110 UTC       17 M    CW
My call VK3CEW        Let's call this QSO 2

It appears from all I can 'see' within LOTW that all is correct, in that
LOTW can and did recognise which of the two calls I used, and can and did
apply (confirm) the data correctly and, I assume, without any 'bother'. That
is, LOTW can differentiate QSO 1 from QSO 2.

However, when DX4Win receives a download from LOTW, where both QSOs have
been confirmed, it will refuse to acknowledge both QSOs/QSLs. Using the
example above, if QSO 2 is confirmed first (before DX4Win has had a chance
to confirm QSO 1) it will apply the confirmation to either of the two QSOs,
apparently 'thinking' that either QSO qualifies for confirmation.

So, at this stage, we have, effectively, data from QSO 2 ex LOTW confirming
QSO 1 in DX4WIN. Confusing, isn't it?

The problem then, apart from this being strictly incorrect, is that when
DX4Win receives the data from LOTW for QSO 1, it will say something like
'QSO not found' in the NOTFOUND report.

The bottom line is that I end up with both QSOs confirmed in LOTW, but only
one QSO confirmed in DX4Win - unless I manually correct which, of course, is
what I do.

Now, this never seemed to happen in V7 at all, and because I only do this
exercise once a month, I don't know what may have been the situation in
V8.01.

A second 'issue' that has me confused is that, in the NOT FOUND report
generated at the end of the LOTW process, there are a number of QSOs listed
that HAVE been confirmed in DX4Win (and LOTW), and all data matches exactly!
In the words of Professor Julius Sumner Miller 'Why is this so?

I am not complaining, nor do I ask Paul to look at the problem, as I can
live with it - DX4Win is an OK program. But I thought it may be of interest
to some of our amateur radio computer buffs, who may know what is going on -
or if I am missing something horribly obvious.

Sorry for the long winded post, but am portable QTH Perth (VK6) without a
radio, so have to do something! Regards to all.

Ernie

Ernie Walls VK3FM

vk...@wallsy.com.au

vk...@arrl.net