I thought you might like to know what the fix was that allowed me to
successfully connect my FT-2000 to DX4WIN v8.02. In addition to the list
members that responded to my query, I also received help from Paul - the
DX4WIN author.

The fix (for me) boiled down to turning ON the DTR and RTS options in
DX4WIN, ensuring the default baud rate was not checked and increasing the
baud rate to 9600. In addition, radio menu items 28, 29 and 30 were set to
9600, 100 and ON respectively. Of those, only the baud rate and time-out
setting were changed from default.

The one thing that does puzzle me is the baud rate issue. The YAESU default
is apparently 4800, yet it works great at 9600 and some of you who responded
suggested speeds as high as 38400. In other cases some of you only selected
DTR and stated RTS was turned off -- so again I'm not sure about these
values other than to say in my present configuration everything appears to
be working fine.

Over the last several years with my FT-1000MP MK V's I never used anything
other than the default values with DX4WIN and the program ran flawlessly -
in fact I even used the same DB9-to-DB9 cable that was used on the MK V's.
Has something changed with the FT-2000 that requires a minor tweak in the
settings? I'd like to know the answer to that question.

Once again thanks to all who offered their assistance.

73 de Paul, VE7BZ