Hi Val,
It could be that you have a ft920 that has the CAT problem.
I know there are a lot of yaesu FT920 TRX with this problem.
Yaesu is aware of it but never did do anything to fix it.
Maybe you can try first the ft920 at somebody else is shack
With another computer, I just tested my ft920 on an even older laptop
With windows 98 and dx4win, all is ok here

Guy ON4AOI