It's easier than that.  Near the top of the installation instructions, it says:

"The country file contains version information. If you try to log the
callsign "VERSION" (without the quotes) and hit the tab or space key,
look at the "QSL Mgr" field in the logbook. This will be the release
date of the QSL manager database, and will usually match the release
date of the country file, unless you have imported a different QSL
manager database."

It sounds like your father is not running DX4WIN in "Expert" mode.
That opens up some menu options.

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreis...@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us