Few days ago I sent out a message to the reflector regarding the position of
some windows not retained after restarting the software.
The issue has been solved even thought it took a while to find the solution.

Let me say that I think the problem is not related to Win8.1 and, on my
opinion, can show up in some other environments as well.

My new computer is using an AMD RADEON 7480D video card and the relevant
CATALYST management software.
This manager is the same for a wide range of AMD video card, not just for the
one I'm actually using.

One of the countless screens of the software is titled HydraVision and inside
that screen there is the Desktop manager tab.
The section General Settings contains the field "Enable Desktop Manager" that
was obviously enabled by default.
Un-checking  that flag solved the problem.

Hope this can be useful to someone.

73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)
one  of EL2PP, 1A0KM, JT1Y, E30GA, T77V, TT8MM, T32R, K5K, XR0X, S05X,
4O3T, BS7H, K4M, PJ7E, PJ7DX, 6Y1V, C6ANA and...