From: DX4WIN [mailto:dx4win-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Jim
Reisert AD1C
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2014 05:41
To: Kenneth Leon
Cc: DX4WIN Reflector
Subject: Re: [Dx4win] Errors in QSO Display Bearing and Range from my QTH

Hi Ken,

The QSO with K5ZYZ has the STATE field filled in.  DX4WIN is calculating
distance and bearing from your location to the (population
center) of the STATE (Texas).

The QSO with W7LTG does not have the STATE field filled in.  DX4WIN is
alculating the distance from your location to the (center of the) COUNTRY
(United States DXCC entity).

Here is where DX4WIN thinks the "center" of the USA is:

    37,32,N,91,40,W (south-central MO)

Try plugging that into a mapping program, and see if it doesn't give you the
same results as the W7LTG QSO above.

I'll say it again:

"Remember, DX4WIN starts with the target coordinates of the DXCC entity.
Some entities are very large.  The "center" of the USA is somewhere in
south-central Virginia I think [I was wrong, it's in MO].
 DX4WIN will use the STATE, GRID and/or IOTA fields to give more exact
bearing/distance."

The QTH field in DX4WIN is for record keeping only, it does not figure into
DX4WIN's distance/bearing calculation.

Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreis...@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us