That's correctly formatted ADIF - the Russian Oblast code is put into the
"STATE" field, which is overloaded for entities like Canada (province
codes), Russia (Oblasts), Mexico (States), Argentina, Brazil, etc.
"<STATE:n>"  is used for all of those. See
http://www.adif.org/304/ADIF_304.htm#Primary_Administrative_Subdivisions
for a list of entities with these.

The LoTW site recently started putting this information into it's ADIF
exports, when the station that you worked supplies this information in
their station location.
This addition has apparently tripped up some applications that think
<STATE:n> means "US State". That's not the case.
73,
    -Rick