I'm not using Windows XP but I'm curious: Do you see the same thing if you use the keypad - or + keys to adjust the speed? (To be honest, I didn't even know about Alt-F9 & Alt-F10, I've always just used the - and +).

One comment I'll throw out to anyone still running Windows XP: As I'm sure you know, Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft. If you are continuing to use it, please make sure you are not connected to the Internet. Microsoft stopped providing support to the general public (even for security and critical issues) in 2014 (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#End_of_support for details) which means that you will be at risk. The risk is not only to your machines but your machine could become part of a botnet, meaning that it can be used to attack other systems, etc.