Problem resolved the hard way.

A WIN10 back in time restore point did not resolve the problem.

I bit the bullet and did a complete clean DX4WIN installation.
Fortunately I had all the needed files archived on thumb drives including
the latest logfile, DX4WIN ini config file,  etc etc.

Thanks to all who sent suggestions.

73,

Bud W3LL