From: dx4win-boun...@mailman.qth.net <dx4win-boun...@mailman.qth.net> on behalf
of David Perry, N4QS <n...@vci.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2021 4:59 PM
To: dx4win@mailman.qth.net <dx4win@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Dx4win] WSJT-X integration with DX4WIN

Here is a new trick that some of us may already be using.

After suggesting to Paul that we needed full integration between WSJT-X and
DX4WIN (like is done with MMTTY) for two or three years with no results, I
decided to take matters into my own hands.  I primarily needed some way to
quickly execute the import routine whenever I want to import the adif log
file from WSJT-X into DX4WIN.  This is especially important during major
openings on 6 meters.  Just this past week I worked 56 South American
stations during a big two hour opening, and I was constantly going  through
the long routine of importing the WSJT-X log into DX4WIN by hand.  I have
done this hundreds if not thousands of times over the past three years.  I
often want to import a 6M FT8 QSO quickly into DX4WIN so that I can then
immediately send a spot using the Alt A routine.  I also want to confirm if
I worked the country and or station before and possible do a lookup via
QRZ.COM.

For the past few weeks, I have been playing with the idea of using some kind
of a keystroke or mouse click recorder to record the long series of clicks
that are required to import the WSJT-X log file into DX4WIN.  I tried two
free apps, AutoHotKey and AutoIt, with no success-they were too complicated
and I am not a programmer.  Yesterday, I stumbled upon an app called Macro
Recorder, and I spent the almost $50 to download and try the standard
edition.

Link to Macro Recorder website:  https://www.macrorecorder.com/

Within a few minutes, I successfully recorded a script, edited the script to
fine tune it and deployed it on my main logging computer.  Now, when I
complete a QSO in WSJT-X, instead of clicking on the OK button as it pops up
in the Log QSO window, I merely press one key - the Insert key.  This
immediately triggers a mouse click on the OK button to log the QSO in WSJT-X
and then immediately executes the complete series of mouse buttons required
to import the WSJT-X ADIF log file into DX4WIN.  Presto!  The new QSO logged
in WSJT-X is immediately imported and entered into DX4WIN.  Again, all I now
have to do is press the Insert key and the new QSO is logged into WSJT-X and
automatically imported into DX4WIN.  The whole process takes about one
second or two.  Progress.  The macro appears to work across my dual monitors
with no problem, but it does require that you keep all of your open windows
for WSJT-X and DX4WIN in the same position.  I never move mine.

I am not sure if the reflector will allow me to insert an image.  I have
made a copy of the script as it appears in Macro Recorder in case anyone is
interested.  If the image does not make it, just email directly and I will
send it to you.  I might add that when you minimize Macro Recorder, it
remains open as a hidden icon.  It is always there in the background waiting
for me to hit the Insert key.  You can assign the hotkey to be any key that
you prefer.  Someone else may be able to do the same thing with the free
apps like AutoHotKey or AutoIt (and there are many others), but I found
Macro Recorder to be much friendly and intuitive for a non-programmer like
me.  And someone may be able to improve and streamline my script.  I am new
to Macro Recorder and I may be missing a few tricks to make it perform even
better.

The ultimate and obviously more elegant solution would be for Paul to create
a seamless interface between WSJT-X and DX4WIN just like he did for MMTTY
many years ago.  As we all know, virtually all logging programs today
interface with WSjT-X.  DX4WIN is one of the few that doesn't.  In the
meantime, this new macro recorded script is very handy and will help me
tremendously during the coming 6 meter E season.  Again, if you cannot see
the image of the script below, please email me directly and I will sent it
to you.  Ironically, I would gladly pay $50 for Paul to release a new
version of DX4WIN with WSJT-X fully integrated.  This trick will at least
get me through the summer.

73,  Dave, N4QS