Improving the presentation qualities of Doordarshan and All India Radio and
filling up of key vacancies are the top priorities of the new Prasar Bharati
CEO, Mr Jawhar Sircar, who assumed office today. Mr Sircar, who was Secretary,
Ministry of Culture, before joining the Prasar Bharati, spoke about his
priorities while interacting with presspersons here. He said though the news
content and reach of Doordarshan and AIR were remarkable, the presentation
standards were not up to the mark. “Presentation is an area where we need to
give attention ....,” he said, adding, “We are high on content and could
improve upon presentation of content.”
Mr Sircar said he needed time to understand why presentation was not up to
competitive standards. Another area he would pay attention to was staff-related
issues, he said, and asked his colleagues to move ahead in a positive
direction “My only appeal to my colleagues is that we have gone through a tough
phase and now it is time to look positively,” he said.
Referring to unfilled posts, he said, “I have been told that there are nearly
14,000 vacancies if you take the original sanction” and added that a task force
had re-evaluated the number of critical posts to be filled up immediately. Mr
Sircar succeeds Mr B. S. Lalli, whose tenure ended in the wake of allegations
of irregularities. In the interim period, Mr Rajiv Takru, Additional Secretary
in the I and B Ministry, was holding additional charge. (Business Line 22/02)
Jaisakthivel, ADXC, India
www.dxquiz.wordpress.com

Order your WRTH 2011: