I just talked with a bank yesterday and they said another bank can get
the money back from a fraudulent check up to 1 year later. I have not
verified this though. I used to think once a deposited check cleared
(max 7 days) the money was "in my bank". Not so.

I asked a few banks (Wells Fargo, which has a fairly strong online
presence) if they had an easy (electronic) method for me to see when a
deposited check clears. "Sorry, call the issuing bank or wait for your
statement." Lame

How has 'business' made it this far with such a screwed up system (aside
from the vast majority of people being honest)??? Despite growing pains,
e-gold is fantastic, especially for merchants!