http://www.economist.com/finance/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=426630&CFID=481421&CFTOKEN=71301190

"because the foreign-exchange markets have repeatedly
 demonstrated their ability to drive currencies into
 serious medium-and longer-term misalignment, with
 severe consequences for growth."

This blaming foreign exchange markets for the actions
of governments is usual for a statist rag like the
Economist.

This is not to say that in the short run capital moving
across legal jurisdictions (countries) does not move
the price of currencies.

What? No mention of gold backing?

This money thing sounds sooooo complicated ('cause that
was probably the intent) that I'll just leave it to the
experts and "blank out".

"Thinking is man's only basic virtue, from which all others proceed.
And his basic vice, the source of all his evils, is that nameless act
which all of you practice, but struggle never to admit: the act of
blanking out, the willful suspension of one's consciousness,
the refusal to think -- not blindness, but the refusal to see; not
ignorance, but the refusal to know. It is the act of unfocusing
your mind and inducing an inner fog to escape the responsibility
of judgment -- on the unstated premise that a thing will not exist
if only you refuse to identify it, that A will not be A so long as
you do not pronounce the verdict "It is." Non-thinking is an act
of annihilation, a wish to negate existence, an attempt to wipe out
reality. But existence exists; reality is not wiped out, it will merely
wipe out the wiper. By refusing to say "It is," you are refusing to
say "I am." By suspending your judgment, you are negating your
person. When a man declares: "Who am I to know?" -- he is
declaring: "Who am I to live?" " - Ayn Rand

Bob