The IRS requires that every transaction involving the "sale or exchange" of
a capital asset must be treated as either a capital gain or loss, with
certain exceptions which are generally spelled out rather clearly.

Therefore using e-gold involves a sale or exchange of a capital asset (gold
holdings) to receive some property whether it be currency or a good or
service.

_*_*_*_*_
For an e-gold funded Debit Card: http://www.glencannongroup.com/genucap/