> This is one issue that bothers me -- the statement that e-gold is
> 100% backed by gold?  This seems improbable to me because;
>
> 1) The only assurance we have that there is real metal backing is the
> examiner page -- which is administered by e-gold personnel only (guess you
> just have to believe!)

On the spur of the moment few months ago during the Indian River Summit,
I bought ~50 silver maple leafs that they produced minutes after I made
the request.

> 3)If e-gold were 100% backed by metal -- how could e-gold possibly have
> enough liquidity cash to handle the daily outexchanging and conversion of
> metal to fiat currency (without selling and buying metal daily -- and this
> obviously is not done since the numbers on the examiner page would fluctuate
> in proportion).  If the examiner were true to form -- e-gold would have to
> have a section listing the amount of cash held in reserve also - and they
> do not.

Good mind for detail! ~6 months ago they had more stats on the stats
page that, if I have it right, showed the exact amount in the e-gold
system (fluctuated with in & out exchanges) and the total amount held by
G&SR (pretty static) - the original exchange provider. I think now they
just show the latter to reduce load on the server and all the numbers
might have been confusing.