> Establishing property rights in a fishery goes like this:
> You go and get some fish.
> When you have them on board and off the decks (so you can't easily
> loose them), they are now your property. No government required here.
>
> The government auctioning the right to fish presupposes that the
> government owns the fish in the first place. How can it own the
> fish to begin with? By a simple declaration?

Allowing people to fish in the manner you describe could deplete the fish in
the local bays and lead to extinctions.

The purpose of government is not to claim apriori rights, but to allow
homesteaders to claim their rights by protecting these rights from others
who might seek to invade their fishing territories once they are
established. To do this, the government needs to allow claims for fishing
rights in particular areas, for particular fish. Without such an organized
recognition of fishing rights, then no such fishing rights could be claimed
at all.

If we continue to follow this line of reasoning, then what's the point of
allowing people to homestead and own land. If owning land was as simple as
putting a house on it and claiming it as yours, then how would someone
secure 40 acres for farming in the following year? To live one's life
requires the ability to plan ahead; to be able to know with some degree of
certainty that others will respect one's plans and allow him or her to
acquire capital to work the land, sow, and harvest, all of which takes time
to establish.

Ownership doesn't exist solely because you have a house on some land, or a
fish in your boat. It exists because you've made the first claim to an
unclaimed resource, with a plan to use and develop the resource. The
government isn't claiming an apriori right; rather establishing a respect
for the rights that you claim.

Craig