Recently posted on list:

"The purpose of government is not to claim apriori rights, but to allow
homesteaders to claim their rights by protecting these rights from
others who might seek to invade their fishing territories once they are
established. To do this, the government needs to allow claims for
fishing rights in particular areas, for particular fish. Without such an
organized recognition of fishing rights, then no such fishing rights
could be claimed at all."

>>forrest remembers>>While working for various fishermen some years ago
in Alaska, I learned effective, non-governmental methods for controlling
fishing territories, etc.. The invasion of an established territory,
i.e. where one's own gear is currently deployed, is colloquially termed
"corking."

When one's deployed gear is "corked," or egregiously encroached upon,
the usual method of  adjudication is administered with the blade of a
very sharp knife upon the lines of the offending gear (crab pots, in
this instance).

That method failing effectiveness, firearms are generally the next
recourse of choice. Naval vessels do not have a monopoly on bow shots,
....or volleys amidships, for that matter!

See related Alaskan Tales at:
www.members.tripod.com/~lowell_potter/pages

Re: the economic heiroglyphics posted here recently (which,
incidentally, spawned hellish nightmares from college daze)...

When asked what he'd do if he ever hit the $10,000,000 super lotto, the
boat owner/skipper replied, "I'd keep on fishing till it was all gone."

View my growing e-gold directory page at:
www.members.tripod.com/~lowell_potter/egodir

best, ........ forrest