Douglas Jackson wrote:

> [...]
> which particular government bonds they hold. In terms of the other major
> function, conveying value across ownership boundaries (from payer to
> payee), the only differences might be in the security features of the
> paper or the handiness of different size bills for different value
> denominations. Certainly any differences in the respective RTGS systems
> would be non-apparent to end users. [All higher level settlement
> mechanisms such as clearinghouse/netting arrangements depend on the
> local banking system and other infrastructure that have no direct
> relation to the foreign central bank in question.]
>
> So this is the lead-in to bring up DigiGold’s rationale for starting to
> explore offline settlement. The RTGS it uses is superior in the respects
> noted above. [When people complain about the non-intuitive WebFunds
> interface, I think to myself that it probably isn’t nearly as tough to
> grasp as the FedWire interface that wire clerks must master. Also, odds
> are that installing a FedWire client or terminal will always require a
> housecall from a service tech , whereas the WebFunds client will only
> get easier and easier for users to download and install]. To go head to
> head with the Euro, though, DigiGold needs to offer a better way of
> conveying value in hand-to-hand cash transactions. Here’s the room for
> improvement. If you find some paper cash lying in the street, there is
> strong incentive to pocket it. It would be really silly to make a little
> placard that says “Found Cash – please claim if yours”. Suppose however
> that you found a tamper resistant hardware token that holds value that
> can only be accessed by its owner, that has been personalized by a PIN
> or some biometric authentication. You would have every incentive to put
> it in the lost and found, since you would hope and expect that others
> would extend you the same self-interested courtesy. The incentive for
> burglary of cash would evaporate. The cane cutter who currently has no
> good way to safeguard what money he has (too poor for bank account, hut
> too insecure for hiding it) could leave his iButtons or smartcards lying
> around confident that there would be little incentive for anyone to
> steal them.
>
> So, returning to the question – “Do any merchants accept DigiGold?” -
> the intent is that they can use the offline settled version, capturing
> the point of sale accounting with their cash register as they would with
> any other cash. The important thing though is that the gold based
> economy becomes fleshed out with a profusion of competitive solutions
> for conveying value. e-gold, as the base money, and DigiGold, as the
> core financial currency, are critical elements of the foundation on
> which such solutions are being built.
>
> In my next post I will be soliciting some advice relating to the
> preliminary requirements for DigiGold's offline settlement mechnism(s).

I look forward to this promised post.

Digigold, if it could be had as paper as well as in webfunds, would be a
fantastic currency. There is a real need for a fee free physical cash
that is financially sound and gold based if gold is to take off more
generally. It seems to me that only by holding financial assets can a
currency provider avoid direct fees on users for transactions or asset
storage. But I don't think the majority of end users give a damn if
their currency is backed by financial assets, provided they know its
sound.

Paper currency has the advantage of being  holdable by anyone, without
any joining process.

David Hillary