Hello,

I just joined this list a couple of days ago, so apologies in advance if I repeat
something that has already been discussed.  I'm pretty new to e-gold (haven't even
got any gold in my account yet).  There is an idea that has just occured to me for
how to narrow the bid/ask spread for e-gold.  There needs to be a central exchange
which works like a stock exchange, where all market maker bids and asks are
represented in the same place.  As it is now, if I want to find the best bid and ask,
have to do hours or even days of research.  This is like buying stocks in the days
before stock exchanges existed.  The stock exchange, by representing all bids and
asks in the same place, makes price discovery much more efficient, improves
liquidity, and narrows the spread.

To narrow the spread even further, users should be able to have orders represented
directly on the exchange, just as the Island ECN does for stocks.  Thus, if one user
wants to buy e-gold and another wants to sell, they can make their own markets
and bypass the market makers entirely, just as the Island ECN allows individual
users to buy and sell stock directly to each other without a market maker getting
between.  The market makers would always be there with the outside spread for
when there weren't enough small buyers or sellers in the inside spread.

Users could have an account with a broker in order to have access to the
exchange, just like with stocks.  The user would have to fund the account with
cash, just like stock broker accounts are funded.  The cash account could have
banking services associated with it.  Thus, users would have accounts with both e-
gold and cash, and converting between e-gold and cash would be cheap and easy
because of the narrow spread that the exchange would generate.

~ Vincent

http://two-cents-worth.com/?263239&[EMAIL PROTECTED]