I haven't done any kind of research into how to create an exchange, but I came
across some info that could be useful to somebody who wants to.  This article
about software completion bonds for open source software gives a suggestion for
hwo to create the bond trading exchange.
http://www.openknowledge.org/writing/open-source/scb/

Quote:
Technically, there are several software platforms which could be used to create the
market. I'm biased toward the ArsDigita Community System. It's an open source
(GPL) toolkit designed and maintained by the 250+ software engineers at
ArsDigita. Extensive documentation is freely available online, and several
universities (MIT, Stanford, Caltech, Carnegie Mellon, among others) train students
to build web sites using the ACS. ArsDigita also offers free 1 - 3 week training
courses almost every month, at one of number of locations in the U.S. and
internationally. Although ACS "Classic" (the primary version supported by
ArsDigita) is built on top of the proprietary Oracle database, it has been ported to
PostgreSQL by the OpenACS team. Finally, the ACS has already been used to
create a working bond market, (www.muniversal.com), a web site for municipal
bond traders.
End Quote

Here is arsdigita's case study about the muniversal exchange:
http://www.arsdigita.com/customers/casestudies/muniversal090700.adp

Ideally, the exchange should allow trading not just of e-gold vs. dollars, but should
allow trading of the various e-metals, standard reserve's currency, goldmoney's gold
grams, and perhaps a few major fiat currencies besides dollars.  The exchange
should probably be located offshore in some country that doesn't regulate
exchanges, so as not to have to deal with the CFTC.

One thing that occured to me is that if an exchange allows trading the various gold
based currencies against each other, it will defeat artificial obstacles that the
issuers set up against redemption.  For instance, standard reserve charges a 1.5%
fee to convert their currency to e-gold, but nothing to convert from e-gold to their
currency.  If their currency were traded against e-gold on an exchange, it would
trade at a discount to e-gold.  Nobody would transfer directly to or from standard
reserve's website, they would use the exchange.  If somebody wanted to convert
from e-gold to standard reserve, they could find somebody else who wants to
convert from standard reserve to e-gold.  Buyer and seller could meet in the middle,
with the standard reserve converting to e-gold with a .75% discount instead of
1.5%, and the person moving e-gold into standard reserve getting .75% more than if
they transfered their e-gold directly to standard reserve.  Bypassing artificial
barriers to redemption will keep all of these organizations more honest.

~ Vincent

http://two-cents-worth.com/?263239&[EMAIL PROTECTED]