Not only should e-gold worry about e-gold but also
about DigiGold!

This is taken from the GoldMoney.com web site, I guess
this could be considered their official statement:

Patents
GoldMoney has received two US patents. An application
for a third patent is pending. The awarding of these
patents acknowledges that GoldMoney is advancing the
‘prior art’. Namely, we have created a more advanced,
and therefore better currency than the currency that
now exists. The patents illustrate why GoldMoney is a
currency that is ideally suited for ecommerce.

 The first patent application was filed in February
1993, and US Patent No. 5,671,36 was awarded in
 September 1997. This patent provides for a system and
method that enables gold or other commodities
 (tangible assets) to circulate through an electronic
medium as currency in a book entry accounting
  system.
 The second patent, US Patent No. 5,983,207, was
awarded in September 1999. This patent provides for a
 system and method that enables gold or other
commodities to circulate electronically as digital
cash,
 ensuring privacy and facilitating micro-payments.

  Both patents may be viewed at the U.S. Patent
Office’s website (www.uspto.gov).

=====
Dagny Taggart