Mike McNamara wrote:

> At 8:16 PM -0700 4/13/01, Vince Callaway wrote:
>
> >Real wealth and economic growth is created by providing goods and
> >services.  As more people insist on being paid with E-Gold the growth of
> >the E-Gold economy will continue.  Those same people will look for
> >merchants that are part of the same community. Those million dollar a day
> >spends are likely to be the same dollars being turned over as part of a
> >normal healthy economy.
>
> I totally agree with the fundamentals of what you say but still, to
> me, the numbers just don't make any sense!
>
> Take the last 24 hours...  Over 1.4 million in transactions.  4814
> spends in total.  That's basically $300 per spend on average.  A full
> 88 PERCENT (!) of e-gold users couldn't even complete that
> transaction if they had THREE TIMES THEIR BALANCE!
>
> Further, let's say that each spend in the last 24 hours was done by a
> unique individuals.  There's virtually no chance of that, but let's
> pretend anyway.  Six tenths of one percent (0.6%) of e-gold users
> accounted for 1.4 million in transactions.  So that 0.6% of e-gold
> users exchanged a full 12% - 13% of all of the e-gold available.
>
> For what?  HYIP's?  Books?  Exchanges?  Gambling?  Magazines?
> Moreover,basically this happens every single day.  Every week or so
> the entirety of e-gold's gold wealth changes hands?
>
> I just find it incredibly hard (impossible) to believe.  Perhaps my
> math is off...

I remember being surprised how high the e-gold velocity was. The reasons
seem to be:
1. e-gold is a poor store of value as it gives no interest and charges a
storage fee. People can't wait to exchange it for financial capital with
no sotrage fees that pays interest.
2. use for HYIP and money games.
3. use as a pass through currency -- A wants good, B wants Australian
Dollars, A has Canadian Dollars, A exchanges Canadian dollars for
e-gold, pays B, B exchanges e-gold for Australian Dollars. This may be
used as an annonomising step.
4. Tax haven entranceway -- go to the ATM, take out your pay as cash,
redeposit in market makers account, get e-gold, invest in
offshore/taxhaven programs, tax administrators can't track it.

What would be good would be to see the distribution of spends -- value
of spends under 50 USD worth, number of spends over 50 USD worth, and
work out how much fee revenue e-gold are making.

David Hillary