> It seems to me that the 1974 legislation removed the ban on individual
> ownership of gold, period.  The 1997 legislation allows for gold coins and
> bars of 99.5 per cent gold to be included in IRA's rendering them
> non-taxable while held in those accounts.

I don't doubt what you're saying, but if this is true, then American Eagles
would not qualify in such IRAs. In fact, most gold coins are around 90%
gold, because 100% gold scratches too easily. I know that the Canadian Maple
Leaf is 99.9% gold, and it scratches extremely easily. Off hand, I don't
know of any other regular-issue gold bullion coins which are close to 99%
gold, other than the Maple Leaf.

Craig