>> It seems to me that the 1974 legislation removed the ban on individual
>> ownership of gold, period.  The 1997 legislation allows for gold coins and
>> bars of 99.5 per cent gold to be included in IRA's rendering them
>> non-taxable while held in those accounts.
>
>I don't doubt what you're saying, but if this is true, then American Eagles
>would not qualify in such IRAs. In fact, most gold coins are around 90%
>gold, because 100% gold scratches too easily. I know that the Canadian Maple
>Leaf is 99.9% gold, and it scratches extremely easily. Off hand, I don't
>know of any other regular-issue gold bullion coins which are close to 99%
>gold, other than the Maple Leaf.
>
>Craig

Craig!  the answer is the Aussie ones - the Kangaroo and the "lunar" issue.

(Australia issues TWO bullion coins: the "Kangaroo" which obviously
has a Kangaroo on it, and the "lunar" coins -- ie, each year is
different with the Chinese lunar calendar .. year of the Dragon, year
of the Snake, etc.  That is a very clever marketing idea to appeal to
Chinese folks who love buying bullion.

I myself just bought, yesterday, a one ounce Aussie bullion coin, in
fact a lunar "year of the snake" one, as a souvenir for my firstborn
who will be born in the year of the snake.

Both coins come in the usual size selection, 1/10th ounce, ounce, 2
ounces - and I think a huge kilo one, also.)

So yes, both of the Aussie bullion coins are marked 9999 and are pure gold.

And yes, they scratch and ding extremely easily!

Interesting trivia: Australia recently introduced a federal GST sales
tax (sort of like VAT).  About the only thing exempt from GST is
"raw" items.

Thus: interestingly, a butcher's in Australia, raw meat - eg steaks,
etc - is GST free, but, thinkgs like say sausages which are
"manufactured" from a collection of items, include the annoying 10%
GST.

Thus -- when in Australia -- if you buy a Krugerrand (95% gold, 5%
copper - 22 carat), you DO PAY GST.  Whereas if you buy a Kangaroo
(pure gold) -- no GST!

What's the canadian maple leaf made from?