Standard Reserve took my gold. I only had about nine dollars in SR-AUG and
SR-USD in the
account, but still...

I received a letter from Standard Reserve a few days ago saying they were
going to start charging a monthly fee. Here is part of that message:

[---------------
"Effective May 1, 2001 your Net Anywhere Account at Standard
Reserve comes of age. Services that are surviving the dotcom age
no longer come free. To ensure that we can serve you into the
future,  we will be charging  a service charge of USD $3 per
month.  Your Net Anywhere Account still remains the best value
account online.   Our level of customer service will be
maintained, and new services will be brought online to meet your ongoing
needs.

"If  this does not meet with your approval, you can close your
account by sending an e-mail to:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=Close_NetAnywhere
----------------]

So I sent a message asking to close the account, and asking to send the gold
to my e-gold account, or advise otherwise:

[--------------
"Please close my net-anywhere account, #------

"If possible, please transfer my gold to e-gold, account #------
Otherwise, please advise as to how I am to withdraw the gold.
---------------]

Now, 12 days later, I find that the account has been closed, and the gold is
gone:

[--------------
"Per your request, we have closed your account.
We hope that you will come  back and visit us sometime in the future."
--------------]

How hard would it have been to send the gold back to my e-gold account, or
send me a check?

The problem with Standard Gold is simply this:

1) The fees are too high. $3.50 per ATM withdrawal, combined with $75.00 per
year is too much for an ATM card. $3.00 a month is too high for a monthly
account when only a few grams are being stored.

2) While it is very easy to move gold from e-gold to SR-AUG, there is no
easy way to move it back, despite numerous promises that there would be for
the past 6 months.

So much for good customer service from them. Banks may have high fees, but
there are two things about a bank that you can depend on:

1) They tell you what the fees are in advance.

2) When it's all said and done, they WILL send you a check for the balance,
even if it's for only a few cents.

Every financial institution -- new economy or old econony -- needs to have a
fundamental respect for people's money. I never wanted to give up that
Standard Reserve account. I just wanted it to work...

Craig