>This is nowhere near my area of expertise, but I don't think you can take
>a SONAR reading on something so small.

Indeed, you can. Perhaps not as a "SONAR" reading as such, but using the
same principles and concepts. There is a subset of the Mechanical
Engineering field called "Nondestructive Testing". Using these
techniques, you can determine flaws in metals and other materials without
(you guessed it) destroying them. One technique is called ultrasound; it
can be used to determine flaws and other things in metals.

In any event, the concept between the two is the same: use sound
(vibrations through a medium) and look at the reflecting patterns.

Although NDT is not my specific field, I believe the ultrasound technique
might be able to discern the boundary where the gold meets the tungsten
(was that the metal?)

Tristan