At 10:59 PM 06/11/2001 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>My entire balance was taken on a spend to "goldmine" on
>June 9. Problem is, I didn't do the spend, never heard of
>"goldmine" and have NEVER, absolutely NEVER told anyone
>my passphrase. EVER. NOBODY! Also, I have never told
>anyone my balance! I reported this to Omnipay immediately,
>but found no answers...just another (yawn) weirdo who gave
>out his passphrase to some crook. Well, not this time...
>
>Note that someone not only knew my passphrase, but also
>my BALANCE! Is this just an ingenious hacker, who entered
>the e-gold system, and made off with the loot, or ?
>
>I have been a member since the beginning, and have been an
>avid supporter of E-Gold. I now feel that something smells
>very badly WITHIN E-gold.

There have been numerous reports recently of e-gold accounts being raided.
I've personally been affected to the tune of nearly 3K.

Because of the fact that you have to make your e-gold a/c# public to receive
payments, you provide hackers with half of what they need to access your
a/c. (Making your e-gold a/c# known also subjects you to someone repeatedly
trying to access your a/c, making it inaccessible. You then have to get e-gold
to change the password and send the new password to you. This has also
happened to me.)

There are almost certainly people selling software to potential e-gold
thieves that makes it very easy for them to plant a Trojan Horse in your
Windows-based system and access your e-gold a/c if they know your
a/c#. (I have several e-gold a/cs. The only one raided was the one for
which the thief knew the a/c# because I made it public.)

I suggest you contact Douglas Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> and
request that he upgrade his system, to provide a log-in# which is
different from the a/c#. You never reveal the log-in# to anyone. (Having
to make my e-gold a/c# public has cost me nearly 3K.)

If Mr. Jackson responds that doing the above won't protect you against
all types of hacker attacks, tell him that it's silly to leave your door half
open, because closing it won't protect you against a gang with a
battering ram.

I suggest you continue hounding Douglas Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
until he corrects this absurd and unnecessary weakness in the e-gold
system. You could also ask everyone you know who has an e-gold a/c
to hound Mr. Jackson until he corrects his system.

(Personally, I no longer use a Windows-based computer to access my
e-gold a/cs -- I use another operating system. I also wouldn't use a
computer that receives or sends email to access my e-gold a/cs.)

Frederick Mann