> Picture a hacker receiving data streams from a number of
> Trojans he's planted in the computers of e-gold a/c holders.

***I suggest doing a little reading about protecting yourself from trojans
as as good start. Perhaps start with something simple like ZoneAlarm this
will take care of most trojans. It uses digital signature to verify all
programs it allows to connect to net so there is no way to trick it changing
the name or so. If that's not enough get some sound commercial product
although I don't think you'll ever need it for home usage.

***As soon as we go that far as "trojan is planted" I don't want to hear any
referrences to security, please.

> In one case, he knows the e-gold a/c #. He has a program
> which scans the data stream, looking for the a/c #. When
> he finds it, it's very likely that what follows is the password.
> This makes it very easy for the hacker to find the password.

***Well that's only in case you don't really now how to analyse your data
stream. Otherwise it doesn't really matter do you or don't know the
username, you can simply scan all data with some simple script to filter
usernames, passwords, e-gols, e-mail, etc.

***Bottom line: it's risky to talk about security if you don't understand
it - basically the same way like it's tricky to make legal statements
without understanding the law or try to give prescription advice based on
"things you heard". I definitelly think E-gold (as any other system)
appreciates any input regarding present insecurity (should somebody detect
it), but: 1) normaly you report that directly to the system operator (why
would you like notify hackers?), 2) please at least do a little homework
9what has happened to the net - almost anybody thinks they know so much
about security just because they've learned few funcy words by reading some
"hacker CD sets".

-Soft

> At 03:40 PM 06/12/2001 -0400, Paul Richards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Seems to me, that if a keyboard sniffer is present, then typing a login
ID