I was a little surprised to see you write this.

Why stop at E-Gold sites? Lots of people use the same passphrase (password
in many sad cases) for all their e-mail accounts, their work login, their
online bank accounts, and so on and so forth. Should my regular ISP's e-mail
server try to log in to my PayPal account using the same password as my
e-mail password? Such an invasion would be For My Own Good, of course, and
therefore morally justifiable.

Where does it end, and by what rationale does it end at that particular
point rather than at some point of greater or lesser invasiveness?

Suppose your mailman tried the front door of every house he stopped at, just
to see if it's locked--not trying to pick the lock or break in, but just
trying to turn the knob to see if it will turn and he can open the door and
peek in. Pretty creepy, huh? I'd go balistic if I found out my mailman were
doing that, even though I always lock my door. Those who don't lock their
doors knowingly take a calculated risk, and although I think they're foolish
I don't think the mailman has any business trying to open their front doors
when nobody's home. In the case of E-Gold it isn't nearly as creepy, but I
think the same principal should apply.

Here's the moral solution: Inform people about basic password security,
encourage them to take personal responsibility for their own affairs,
_expect_ them to take personal responsibility for their own affairs, and
when they don't, feel sorry for them but hope they learned and don't pretend
it's anyone's "fault" but their own.

It's like William Penn said--if you protect men from folly, you'll get a
nation of fools.