>I paid GST on a damn natural gold NUGGET!  But not on a
> kangaroo bullion coin.
>
> Krugerrands, yes, maples, no.
>
> Only "pure materials" you pay no GST on, seems to be the idea.
>
> So, at a butchers:
>
> steaks:  no GST
> Sausages:  GST !!
>
> Wierd isn't it?

The Australian version of GST is strange, for food. "basic food" is exempt,
while other food incurs GST. So if you buy a cooked chicken you pay no GST,
if you buy half a cooked chicken, or two halves, you pay GST. Edible
underwear attract GST. We are still waiting to hear if a tree falls over in
a forest and no one hears it, whether it attracts GST. So don't cut your
coins in half, just in case.

David