SnowDog wrote:

> > I've said it before and I'll stand by it: money laundering is a
> > *fundamental human right*.
>
> Kind of a strange quote since the act of laundering money is to take 'dirty'
> money and attempt to make it look like 'clean' money. Since dirty money is
> defined as money raised through illegal activity, then by saying that "money
> laundering is a fundamental human right" is to say that "illegal activity is
> a fundamental human right". How can you not arrive at this deduction?

For exactly the same reason as there is a protection in the USA against
unreasonable searches and seizures: there are freedoms which it is
necessary to keep clear of government interference even though it
hinders law enforcement. Economic freedom is absolutely tied to personal
and political freedom; the right to *refuse to play along* is a
requirement for a system where the individual people, not politicians,
are sovereign. It is impossible to be free in a panopticon, and there is
no other way to actually prevent money laundering. Given the choice
between a police state and a place where criminals sometimes get away, I
much prefer the company of the criminals.

Besides there is the simple matter of rights: it is NOBODY'S DAMN
BUSINESS to whom or for what I exchange my property. It is between me
and them and maybe the currency issuer. Period.