>Because an intelligent discussion doesn't center around people just
>screaming "YOUR IDEA SUCKS! TPPHBBBBHHH!!!" - "YEAH? WELL, WHAT DO YOU
>KNOW?" back and forth at each other.

:)  fair enough ..

>> {It seems like a non-starter - we all hate adverts and wish there
>> were none on TV, magazines or radio.
>
>I don't pay for broadcast TV or radio, hence the advertising. Magazines
>supplement their revenue with advertising. Services host advertising to
>bring their prices down so that more people will purchase their service.
>In the case of TV and radio, advertising is used to subsidize what cannot
>be paid for. Does anybody say 'Our service isn't being used enough, we
>need to start accepting advertising.'

Right. e-gold is an unusual case: only e-gold know, the complete list
of, e-gold users.

Also, I'm not saying "e-gold is not being used enough".

I am just saying "there exists no non-cottage-industry EREs".

Hence, e-gold should say "since e-gold is currently only used for
HYIPs (let's call a spade a spade) and a couple of novelty sites, and
we really want some non-cottage-industry egold related enterprises,
we need to make an advertising channel for enterprises to reach
e-gold users"

>> Anyway - I suggest a simple checkbox so that users who hate banner
>> ads can turn them off.
>
>So e-gold would then go through all effort of implementing banner ads on
>the spend page just so that everybody could turn it off?

(I imagine the default would be off.)

My guess: 60% would turn them on, 40% leave them off.

(Also, I don't see the "all the effort" part, it's a few lines of
code. Hell, try it for six months and see what happens.)