At 11:43 AM 6/23/2001, Ken Griffith wrote:
>Regarding the idea of get-paid-to-read-spam that was being  bandied about:
>the only problem with that kind of marketing model, assuming that it is
>based on an opt-in program, is that it attracts people who want something
>for nothing.  The people who chase freebies generally have a completely
>different mindset from paying customers.

Agree wholeheartedly.  Those who still believe that everything on
the Net should be free don't like to spend money.  Those who
recognize that the days of the free ride (and the resulting
failures of the dotcoms over the last 18 months) are over will pay.

>So, if I were a business, I would not waste my money paying people to read
>my ads.  I want to find a target market that WANTS to read my advertisement
>so they can pay ME for my product.  That is why text-based ads located in
>magazines and websites where your target market congregates are the best
>"bang for the buck".

Like the Gold Economy, which I would say even if Ken didn't run
it (and my partner Elwyn Jenkins didn't found it).  It's an
excellent source of information.

>Frankly, the demand for a list of all 280,000 e-gold customers would be a
>low quality list even if e-gold did rent it out.  Only about 40% of those
>accounts actually have money in them, and even fewer have more than $10
>worth.
>
>So, if I wanted to build an ad campaign for e-gold customers, I would try to
>think of what interests them and where to look.
>
>Frankly, the e-gold list is at this point the BEST list because it has the
>most interested and active people in the e-gold market.  In the advertising
>industry they call this a hot list.

Maybe.  I own 19 discussion or mailing lists and now only accept
advertising on one.    Two years ago, they were very good for me
and the advertiser.  Last year  they weren't bad.  This year they
are marginal at best.

I also subscribe to approx 50 lists now (down from 135 a year
ago). And most of my fellow list owners are finding the same
thing.   One guy has a highly-targeted list of 15,000 names from
which he used to generate $120,000 annually from ad
revenue.  Today it is down to $10,000.

Discussion lists are another area where folks expect them to be
provided for free, are not willing to pay for the information and
often don't support sponsors, even though it is the sponsors who
support the lists.  A good example is the Association for
International Business which reaches 12,000 members in 200
countries.  It is the best international business resource
available anywhere (I am a member of the board of
directors).  The founder tried to get members to pay a measly $18
per year for the services provided, which are excellent.  They
couldn't even get 500 people to pay.  Worse yet folks actually
accused him of trying to gouge them because he wanted to charge!

>Another source of a hot list would be to buy lists of paying customers from
>market makers.  (Of course this would only be ethical if the market-maker
>did this with the full knowledge and permission of his customers.)

A fabulous way for a market maker to LOSE ALL HIS
CUSTOMERS!  There isn't enough money in advertising for a MM to
make this worthwhile.   Targeted lists may sell for $40 to $70
per thousand.  Assume a MM had 1,000 customers.  Why would he
want to risk the goodwill of his customers,  with perhaps a
lifetime value of $1,000 each to get a measly  4 to 7 cents per name?

Our SR newsletter now reaches approx 12,000 subscribers.  We
neither accept advertising nor will we sell the names.  It's just not worth it.

According to some posts on my E-Tailer's Digest, e-mail marketing
is the "killer app" this year, which I find silly.  In May and
June , 1999 we did a test market campaign for a client where we
sent two e-mailings of approx 140,000 pieces offering gift items
for Mother's Day and Father's Day.  The results - 35% and 38%
**purchased** which was excellent.  It was successful enough for
the principals to sell the company for $32 million.  Well the new
company did a similar test one year later and the results was
less than 10%.  This year I doubt it was 3-5%, if they even did it.

There are still many ways to reach the target, but they are much
different than what was seen in the past couple of years.  Of
course, since we need to use them to build Standard Reserve, I am
not willing to share them on an open forum.

BTW, I always crack up hearing the comparison between "click
thrus" and results of a snail mail mailing.  Click thrus get a
8-10% return whereas direct mail "only" gets 3-5%.  The
difference is the DM return is purchases!  If you were to compare
click thrus to DM, you should really compare how many people
opened the DM envelope, which you can't do.

FWIW

George

George Matyjewicz,  President/General Manager
Standard Transactions (BVI) Limited
World Wide Currency for the World
http://www.standardreserve.com
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]