<SNIP>

Craig, I think Eric is only referring to the fact that if he is caught up in
legal investigations or has to appear in court as an accomplice, this
presents many real and significant costs to his business. In this case, one
would hope that a reasonable person (Are the US government, their officers
and legal system reasonable people?!) would understand that Eric was
honestly trying to help someone out, and was unaware of the fraud that
generated the funds in question, and that he should have no more
responsibility for the source of money being transacted for a third party
than does the telephone company for the content of telephone conversations
using their telecommunications system.

Now that I have written that, I don't even believe it myself! The 'system'
and the people in it are not likely to be reasonable (from Eric's point of
view). Telephone companies are large corporations providing public utility,
and will be protected by the system against complicit dealings which they
could not possibly be aware of, or avoid without severely infringing the
privacy of its customers. Gaithman's Gold Exchange (and all other like
businesses) are small operations and will *not* be protected by the system
against complicity in dealings with which they could not possibly be aware
without infringing the privacy of their customers. :(

Certainly outexchanging funds for someone, is just buying e-gold on the open
market, and *should* be risk free.

Ian Green
http://two-cents-worth.com/?107242