> If it is possible to produce a 1kg bar, why is it impossible to produce a
> 12.5kg (400 oz) bar?

I saw this explained on a late night documentary about gold production and
other gold related miscellany.
The reason is that the consistancy of the molten gold prevents it from being
cast into precisely 400 oz.

There was also disheartening news for all the diligant decimal pointers. As
the show went on we were taken to the Federal Reserve of New York,
reportedly holding the most gold in the world or somewhere. It was amazing
to see all that gold stacked up to the ceiling. The workers were loading up
pallets with gold bars which were to be shipped somewhere else.

The full pallets, about four feet square as well as high, made their way by
forklift to the loading dock where a large armored truck waited. Then
something unbelievable happened that I still can't believe. They just DUMPED
the whole pile into the truck like a load of rotten potatoes, kicking at the
bars that happened to fall in the way of others. In the middle of what I
considered to be a very gruesome scene, the narrator bantered on in has
narrator monotone something to the effect of "We don't really use this stuff
any more." The tour was then taken to the ultra modern central clearing
house through which all of the world's money flowed effortlessly through
multi billion dollar computers, to and from foreign countries, banks, and as
a matter of fact there isn't a penny in the world that isn't accounted for
through the magnificent clearing house.

The next time I see a penny on the ground it's staying there.

Loaves and Fishes has moved to http://home.att.net/~lfsk/main.html if
anybody cares to throw a few scraps our way.

Joe