Journalist delurking here, with some data that may help unravel the mystery
of the microspends:

I've been researching an article about e-gold for Wired magazine (*not*
Wired News), and in the interest of science I invested about 2/3 of a gram
in a "cash-flow game" advertised not too long ago on this list. This is an
automated game that promises payouts around 1% every few hours and has been
making about 4 or 5 spends per day of a little less than a milligram each
into my account. According to the game's published stats, there are around
850 players with total "interest-bearing" deposits of around $33K. Let's
assume, conservatively, that just a third of those players are $5 low
rollers like myself, with the remainder having invested an average of $60.
Collectively, then, the low rollers for this single game would receive a
total of 1200 to 1300 sub-milligram spends per day -- or about one half of
all such spends listed on the e-gold stats page for the last 24 hours. Just
one more game like this one would, therefore, account for the entirety of
sub-milligram spends. Or, alternatively, you could assume it's actually more
likely that *two* thirds of the players are low rollers, and that this game
alone generates all of the e-gold sub-milligram spends. Finally, in any
case, the numbers do seem to imply that if the game stats can be trusted,
then around 3500 of the ~5500 daily e-gold spends of less than a gram -- or
fully three fifths of all microspends -- are generated by this single game.

I have two questions for the list:

1. What do you think of the above assumptions, math, and conclusions?

2. More generally, what portion of the total value and number of daily
e-gold spends would you guess is generated by the HYIP economy (cash-flow
games, investments, investment advice, etc.)? Claude Cormier recently put
the number at around 90%, if I understood him correctly; JP May I think said
something to the effect that the percentage is an "overwhelming" majority.
Do those statements reflect a consensus?

Julian Dibbell
www.juliandibbell.com

Did you know that the new e-gold Secure Random Keypad can
help you to protect your passphrase from both keystroke & mouse-
click "sniffing" trojan viruses? You can find out more about computer
security at: http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/home_networks.html