Bob wrote:

> Craig Spencer wrote:
>
> > Both are transferable *derivatives* of gold.  That is, they are
> > contractual obligations whose value derives from that of gold.
>
> I'm not so sure about that Craig. A derivative's value is a function
> of more than the underlying security.

You are completely right that a derivative's value is a function of
more than the underlying security.  That is not contrary to my
statement.  E-gold is a particularly simple derivative but I did not
mean that it derives *only* from gold.  Your example pointing out
that, in e-gold's case, it also depends on the reputation of the
operators is a good one.  Another example is that the value of e-gold
and GoldMoney should differ slightly because of their different
governing contracts.

> > The principal contractual commitment is the obligation to
> > redeem e-gold in gold on demand (under certain circumstances).
>
> Currently, for almost all people who have ... some gold in
> e-gold ... have to plain 'ol go out and buy some coins or
> stuff at a regular jewelry or coin dealer who uses the e-gold
> payment system.So I suppose the word redemption could be used,

No, that is not really redemption.  Note that I did choose my words
carefully and said that e-gold only promises redemption "under
certain circumstances".  Those that you pose above are not those
"certain circumstances".  The point is that without ANY means of
redemption e-gold would not have value for long.  Ultimately,
the willingness of your e-gold taking coin dealer to sell you
gold for e-gold depends on the ability of someone who accumulated
over $100,000 worth of e-gold to redeem it for bullion.

Best,

CCS

Did you know that e-gold Ltd. stores more gold on behalf of customers
than many countries? See http://www.gold.org/Gra/Gra1.htm and the
e-gold Examiner at http://www.e-gold.com/examiner.html for details.