My heart bleeds for today's tragedy.  May peace and justice prevail in the
end...

After turning on the morning news, I checked the gold spot.  At that time,
gold was at $289.00, a significant jump.

An issue came to mind.  I've considered it before, but because the price
of gold has been none-too-exciting in recent months, I didn't resolve the
issue and chose to ignore it for the time.  The issue:

There are those of us who price our website products in national
currencies.  A good shopper, noticing a sudden, significant jump in the
gold spot (and consequently the e-gold exchange rate), could receive quite
a bargain by taking advantage of the inflated gold spot.  Let's assume
(arguendo) that the upward push is brief (say, lasting less than a day)
but powerful (5% or more).  Moreover, let's also assume that the retailer
for one reason or another will be unable to outexchange at the more
advantageous rate.

How does an online e-gold accepting retailer deal with this exchange risk?
 An obvious solution is to price our products in grams (of e-gold).
However, since most of my customers use their credit cards when making a
purchase, pricing in grams would deter them from making that purchase.  A
dual pricing system could be used (i.e. listing prices in both a national
currency and in grams of e-gold), but this is clumsy and tedious.

The way I've dealt with this so far is to price low-margin items (e.g.
gold bullion) in grams, and higher-margin items (e.g. professionally
graded gold coins) in dollars.  This isn't completely satisfactory,
though, as I'm not allowing my credit card customers to purchase certain
items, while savvy/fortuitous e-gold users could time their purchases so
as to receive killer deals.  While I generally prefer my e-gold customers
(and am happy to give discounts for the use of e-gold), at some point a
significant gold jump would conceivably eliminate any profit I might
realize on a particular product.  This risk is even more pronounced for
those businesses with low profit margins on all of their products.

I think this is really a larger issue: how do we convince "the average
Joe" that e-gold is good money in the face of such an exchange risk?  Many
(or most?) people have great misconceptions about gold, its risk and its
worth as a store of value.  How do we overcome this?

Regards,
Chris
www.GoldenGrams.com
http://two-cents-worth.com/?230097

Did you know that e-gold Ltd. stores more gold on behalf of customers
than many countries? See http://www.gold.org/Gra/Gra1.htm and the
e-gold Examiner at http://www.e-gold.com/examiner.html for details.