Hi e-gold list,

> http://www.TheHarrowGroup.com/articles/20011008/20011008.htm
> Worth Its Weight In Gold?
> a Siemens SL45 cell phone/PDA/MP3 player weighs 88 grams and
> sells for about $740, or $8.40/gram.  Gold is currently valued $8.84/gram!

Haha! Nice find.

I suppose well-crafted, hard-to-make stuff is valuable, just like
well-purified stuff. Furthermore, Semiconductor purification is indeed
comparable to gold purification. But beware, over time the purity of
semiconductors decays -- the atoms "swim around" a bit and distort the
junctions.  But that process is far slower than economic devaluation of
semiconductors, so nobody knows (or cares). But is quite different from the
properties of gold.

> Memory Sticks
> are worth more than four-times their weight in gold!

But, contrary to gold, their value is enormously debit to inflation!
Interpreting inflation as a decline in value w.r.t. the average of all
valuable goods. (I make this up as I go -- not an economist.)

        -> Is there such an "index" anywhere, BTW?

> And as our electronics get even smaller, lighter, and more compact, "gold"
> may turn out to be a poor cousin by comparison.

For payments?  Hmm, aside from value per weight, I would say that a
constancy of value would also be pleasant for a currency.

Paintings by Rembrandt van Rijn are probably worth much more per weight
unit gold, and usually they are good investments, but even here I would not
enjoy it as a currency -- structure being something that decays over time
(entropy always increases, after all) and there is a factor of
interpretation ('artistic value') that is quite unpredictable as well.
But on the good side, there is no inflation possible of the kind `we are in
trouble so we will print a few more dollars'. Like physical gold, these
paintings are unique.

> Hummm.  In the U.S., our paper currency was once called "gold
> certificates," and later "silver certificates." Might we one day be seeing
> -- "semiconductor certificates...?"

Not if I have a say in it (which is not the case, of course).

But perhaps my reaction is too serious -- the find of this comparison is
funny indeed!

Cheers,

Rick van Rein,
DNS.vanrein.org -- domain names payable in gold.
GOLD.vanrein.org -- gold info and sale for the Dutch.

Did you know that e-metal is a wonderful holiday gift? Avoid the hassle this year!