Dear Ian Green,

Thanks for your entertaining example and friendly message.

For some reason, the terms and conditions page is producing
a 500 internal server error.  I've taken the time to copy that
page to here:
  http://www.ezez.com/free/tos.html

I direct your attention to the section 5 language, especially as
regards ownership.

So, while it may be true that you "can sell stolen nuclear weapons
materials" and it may even prove possible to do so through the
use of our information exchange services web site GoldBarter.com,
I don't think it is true that you would do so with impunity.  We would
suspend your account for fraud if, for example, you were selling
anything which is stolen.  We take property very seriously, and
ownership issues are an essential aspect of property, in our view.

Now, as to "right" I'm not sure what those are.  I have seen all kinds
of definitions.  Without getting to excruciatingly philosophical, I
don't think the term "rights" is a very good way to describe individual
liberty.  I think it has proven disastrous in many specifics.  But, if
you have "prepaid labour" then you might not be describing chattel
human slavery.  For example, if you have a labor contract with an
individual, and that contract allows you to sell all or part of the labor
for which you have contracted, then I would anticipate success with
our company accepting your auction posting.

Of course, a contract signed under duress is void.  So, an individual
who has, for example, paid $35,000 to be transported from the
People's Republic of China, where he fears death from the government,
to the USA, and agrees to a term of service as a result, it may be that
the agreement constitutes one made under duress.  That's getting
quite technical, and the specifics of each case are going to be, well,
case specific.

There are, I'm told, sites which advertise the sort of "kinky sex" slaves
which some people seem to appreciate.  I don't see any reason to be
a part of that market.

In fact, something Ayn Rand once wrote has a good deal of appeal to me.
I do recognize an obligation to take no part in a slave society.

Nor do I find the issue of slavery very funny.  I can see where it could
have the same sort of macabre humor that South Park has with its
rats eating Kenny, and so forth.  ("Those bastards! They killed Kenny!")
But, that's humorist-specific.  A whole lot of blood has been spilled over
the last 10,000 years regarding individual and generic cases of slavery,
so that it might not be a great source of humor for some tastes.

Your mileage will, of course, vary.

Regards,

Jim
   http://www.GoldBarter.com/ --> A free market is your
   best friend.  It could save your life.

Did you know that e-metal is a wonderful holiday gift? Avoid the hassle this year!