After this, I'll stop!
JMR

Subject: Re: Welcome to Sealand. Now Bugger Off.
From: Ryan Lackey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 01:21:33 +0000

Quoting R. A. Hettinga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I don't think we saw this here. In light of Ryan's discussion on
> cypherpunks...
>
> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.07/haven_pr.html

That article was actually written primarily from a visit Simson and I had to
Sealand in late March 2000; the first time I'd ever actually *been* to Sealand.
(although I had a bunch of diagrams, photos, etc.)  I still don't see how
Simson got away with calling me short; I'm taller than he is (IIRC)!
Maybe it's because I was sleeping the whole 8 hour trip)

I'm kind of amazed at how accurately that predicted the future.

1) Exodus is chapter 11 :)  (and I think shorting their stock may have funded
   HavenCo to some extent, indirectly)
2) No actual problems with the UK government; quiet tolerance it seems
3) Laws did, actually, get worse in the US/UK/etc. since starting; RIP, DMCA.
   This is always a safe bet.
4) Once things are up and working, it's pretty stable and boring.
5) Lots of media interest (continuing to this day; we still have 1-2
   press crews/week on average, although more documentary or in-depth
   press and less news in the past 6 months or so)

Unexpected:
1) Global economic collapse, war, etc.
2) [Prince] Michael and Alan (our security/operations manager) being so
   useful; originally we didn't expect much help from them, but it turns out
   they're both better at actually running businesses than anyone else in
   the company (aside from actual technical details); pirate radio is a good
   background, I suppose.  Michael is our CEO, and it seems to work well.
3) Our customers actually use maybe 10-20 Kbps each, average, not >5 Mbps.
   We've focused on the lower-bandwidth high-value transactional clients,
   which works well.
4) We didn't start selling stuff until winter 2000; original goal was summer
   2000.  This was primarily due to various delays in technical implementation.
5) Once we started selling service we were cashflow-positive after 5 months,
   and profitable a few months later.
6) No serious technical challenges.
7) "Giving away service to charitable organizations" is not a very
   important thing, nor is "pleasing the cypherpunk community" the
   ultimate end of marketing; the people who actually pay for service
   are a lot more traditional than we'd expected.
8) Finding suitable sites for expansion is actually pretty difficult.
9) Investors actually contributing a lot more than just cash (pretty active
   participation, especially by Avi and Joichi)
10) Sales cycle for most customers is something like 3-6 *months*, not
    3-6 days.
11) Random business details (accounting, etc.) are quite annoying.
12) Various outside services we would want to use folding commercially, and
    general lack of progress on a lot of things.  I think all of our original
    vendors are now either chapter 11 or have refocused operations entirely.
--
Ryan Lackey [RL7618 RL5931-RIPE]        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CTO and Co-founder, HavenCo Ltd.        +44 7970 633 277

http://www.e-gold.com/stats.html lets you observe the e-gold system's activity now!